Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Guild of Boston Artists panel discussion

I attended a panel discussion Saturday, Nov. 19th at the Guild of Boston Artists on Newbury Street where T.M. Nicholas, Stapleton Kearns and David P. Curtis were scheduled to speak.  David P.  Curtis was unable to attend because of a bad cold.
Stapleton Kearns is an artist that I studied with only a week or two ago in CT for a 3-day weekend workshop.  T.M. Nicholas I had not met before although I am very familiar with his work and the work of his father, Tom Nicholas (who gave me some advice when I was doing a plein air paint day in Gloucester).  I have known and studied with David Curtis for many years.  All three of these artists are leaders in the Boston School of art, in other words a definite style of New England painting and live or have lived in Rockport .  The room was packed and had standing room only, and I was lucky enough to be there early and got a seat on a sofa which turned out to be very very nice.  It is a pleasure to listen to two guys, who are very accomplished artists, sit and talk as if you were in the living room listening to their conversation.
I was lucky again by getting a parking space on Newbury Street about 3 blocks away from the Guild with the max allowed time of 2 hours.  First I pulled into a public parking place but when I saw that it would be $40 for 2 hours or more, I continued looking and four spaces down the street I found a spot for $2.50.  I had to leave before the event was over, and I was the very first one to leave.  I felt bad about that, but I think people in Boston have a different mentality about this type of thing as they realize there is always a parking situation.
I really enjoyed listing to TM and look forward to talking with him sometime.  There are not a lot of people that I would feel comfortable, lets say, sitting or having meal with, but I believe I would be able to have a nice conversation with TM, he seems like a regular guy and I liked what he had to say about the art of oil painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment