I spent yesterday painting on one of the PPP (People Painting People) portraits. I chose the one that was bothering me the most. This part of the process takes way more time than the actual painting done from life. Maybe because this one needed a lot of help. First I determined that my drawing was off a lot proportion-wise. So along with moving the eyes down about an inch and also the ear that was the only part of the painting that I originally liked, I tried to change her expression to a more pleasant one. I struggled with the lighting. First I had too much light and so the overall painting was coming out too dark-thus another coat of paint. I should have cleaned my palette and didn't so I had some muddy color to contend with. I repositioned my back mirror last thing last night and saw some other problems to correct. This morning I reappraised the situation and took photos. It's always a surprise how instantly the mistakes pop out on a photo. OK, so I made a list of corrections to be done and will wait until later (maybe today) after I've warmed up, to make those.
Yesterday I received Carol Marine's new book in the mail and read about 1/3 of it last night. She has some mighty good tricks up her sleeve.