Monday, March 4, 2013

His Left Ear

Solving problems with a portrait of George.  After finally figuring out that his head was not wide enough, and realizing that it needed to be wider on only one side, it was sad to have to block out his left ear and start over AND it was the only part of the portrait that I liked so far.  Here is the portrait of his (now painted over) left ear taken in warm and cool light.  Notice  how different it looks depending on what light is on.  The cool light is the overhead studio light and the other is normal lighting.

I also finally (I hope) figured out how to get the palette I want to use for portraits.  The old KISS principle, three primary colors.  I've done a lot of research looking for a palette that would work for me, and by that I mean, make sense to me.  Perhaps I'll branch out after using this for a while, but for now, I like it.  I mixed up a kind of mother color and from there mixed a cool and warm version with steps from light to dark, etc. keeping the cool colors on my palette to the left where the cool colors are to the left on the portrait itself, and the warm on the right, etc.  This way I don't cross my warms and cools.


No comments:

Post a Comment